Changing domain name

Hi all,

I'm in the process of changing the domain name of a
kerberos/openafs/openldap server on ubuntu 10.04 LTS. ldap provides the
user metadata such as homedir location, user and group id, etc. The server
itself remains the same as well as the IP number. Actually I cloned it, so
I can still access the old, working instance (only one server running at
any time, since the IP is the same).

I followed instructions telling to

1) export the old data...
   slapcat -v -l ldap.diff

2) replace the old domain instances with the new ones using gedit

3) remove the old data
   rm -rf /var/lib/ldap/*

4) import the updated data back
   slapadd -l new-ldap.diff

5) and restore dir permissions
   chown -R openldap:openldap /var/lib/ldap/*

However, whereas the export went seemingly fine,
importing and manipulating the new data required to point the specific
slapd.conf file. E.g. slapadd or slapindex without -f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf
would raise an error:
   Available database(s) do not allow [action].

Basic commands like id,  ldapsearch -x or slapcat return empty content
without errors. All the /etc/ .confs have been updated, and should point
to the new domain name.

Any idea what could cause this and how to fix it?

br, jukka