Re: Changing domain name

On 09/26/13 14:37 +0300, Jukka Tuominen wrote:
I'm in the process of changing the domain name of a
kerberos/openafs/openldap server on ubuntu 10.04 LTS. ldap provides the
user metadata such as homedir location, user and group id, etc. The server
itself remains the same as well as the IP number. Actually I cloned it, so
I can still access the old, working instance (only one server running at
any time, since the IP is the same).

I followed instructions telling to

1) export the old data...
  slapcat -v -l ldap.diff

2) replace the old domain instances with the new ones using gedit

3) remove the old data
  rm -rf /var/lib/ldap/*

Did you recreate this directory?

4) import the updated data back
  slapadd -l new-ldap.diff

5) and restore dir permissions
  chown -R openldap:openldap /var/lib/ldap/*

However, whereas the export went seemingly fine,
importing and manipulating the new data required to point the specific
slapd.conf file. E.g. slapadd or slapindex without -f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf
would raise an error:
  Available database(s) do not allow [action].

So it does work with -f or doesn't? I'm not clear.

If you modified the suffix in your new-ldap.diff, did you also modify the
suffix in your slapd.conf?

--
Dan White