Re: Kudos to all who contributed to MDB

On 09/18/2013 02:26 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
This is because the SLES folks seem to love to seek out ways to break
things for servers.  I'm not really sure why they call themselves an
"enterprise server" product anymore.  It is trivial to fix this:

ulimit -v unlimited

I didn't think it was a ulimit issue (pretty sure I checked this) but I'll double-check later today on a different OpenLDAP server running SLES11. :-)

There's a known issue in 3.0 through 3.9 kernels that is fixed in 3.10
that will affect your write speed with mdb.  See:

<http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/201309/msg00008.html>

Hmm, thanks for the tip. 'Didn't know about that. I know there were some significant performance fixes in XFS somewhere in the 3.x line of kernels too. Just 'nother reason to upgrade though I don't think I have any distros (yet) using a kernel newer than 3.5. :-/

Brent

    Anyway, thanks again to everyone who contributed to MDB. It's lots
faster than BerkeleyDB in all of my testing so far. 'Looking forward to
gradually shifting more of my LDAP servers over to it.

For me, the back-mdb write speed is about 50x to 70x faster than the BDB
based backends.

<http://wiki.zimbra.com/wiki/OpenLDAP_MDB_vs_HDB_performance>

Also quite a bit faster for reads:

<http://mishikal.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/openldap-a-comparison-of-back-mdb-and-back-hdb-performance/>

Glad to hear MDB is working out well for you!

Lead Engineer
Zimbra Software, LLC