Re: a few MDB questions

--On Monday, September 02, 2013 12:22 PM -0600 Brent Bice <bbice@sgi.com> wrote:

    I'm trying out the mdb backend before converting several of our LDAP
servers to it and have a few questions I haven't found answers to yet.

OpenLDAP version?

    Firstly, I found when I spun up an instance using MDB that I couldn't
have more than 1000 leaf nodes.  It appears when I tried to create the
1001st leaf node, one of the earlier nodes disappeared.  Is this a known
limitation or just a config option I don't see in the slapd-mdb man page?
Right now my config just contains:

database	mdb
masxize		2147483648
suffix          "dc=mysuffix,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=sgi,dc=com"
rootpw		myrootpw
directory       /data/ldap/instance-v1.4/var/openldap-data
[... a bunch of indexes ...]
checkpoint      1024000 60

This is not a valid back-mdb parameter. I would suggest re-reading the man page.

    The total size of the DB was only 412 megs so far and each of three
branches in the DB appeared to be limited at 1000 leaf nodes so I don't
think I was just hitting a maxsize limit.

I have DBs with hundreds of millions of objects, without issue.

    Which leads me to the 2nd question... The maxsize option (according
to what I've read) is the maximum size of the database in bytes.  But it
looks to me like the biggest value I can specify is 4G - the biggest
value for an unsigned long.  Would this be cuz the system I'm testing on
is a 32bit version of linux?  (unsigned long is only 4 bytes whereas on a
64 bit OS unsigned longs are 8 bytes)

I would advise using a 64-bit OS with MDB.

Lead Engineer
Zimbra, Inc