a few MDB questions

I'm trying out the mdb backend before converting several of our LDAP servers to it and have a few questions I haven't found answers to yet.

Firstly, I found when I spun up an instance using MDB that I couldn't have more than 1000 leaf nodes. It appears when I tried to create the 1001st leaf node, one of the earlier nodes disappeared. Is this a known limitation or just a config option I don't see in the slapd-mdb man page? Right now my config just contains:

database	mdb
masxize		2147483648
suffix          "dc=mysuffix,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=sgi,dc=com"
rootpw		myrootpw
directory       /data/ldap/instance-v1.4/var/openldap-data
[... a bunch of indexes ...]
checkpoint      1024000 60

The total size of the DB was only 412 megs so far and each of three branches in the DB appeared to be limited at 1000 leaf nodes so I don't think I was just hitting a maxsize limit.

Which leads me to the 2nd question... The maxsize option (according to what I've read) is the maximum size of the database in bytes. But it looks to me like the biggest value I can specify is 4G - the biggest value for an unsigned long. Would this be cuz the system I'm testing on is a 32bit version of linux? (unsigned long is only 4 bytes whereas on a 64 bit OS unsigned longs are 8 bytes)

I can just switch to a 64 bit system, easy-peasy. But I'm not sure why I seem to be limited to 1000 leaf nodes.

Brent