Re: Debian Squeeze: Slapd subtree disappears, but ldapsearch finds it | unable to allocate memory for mutex; resize mutex region

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 10:26:58AM -0700, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On May 1, 2013 12:08:51 AM +0200 Denny Schierz <linuxmail@4lin.net> wrote:
>
> >hmm, bad. I try to build 2.4.35 with the Debian build files, but without
> >several patches. Some packages needs libldap etc. pp.
>
> You should not try and replace the broken system OpenLDAP.  Build
> OpenLDAP yourself out into /usr/local or /opt, etc.
>
> Also, as I already stated, the BDB libraries provided by Debian are
> built incorrectly as well, and should not be used.

How do people with generic sysadmin skills figure out which packaged components are safe to use with a non-distribution-packaged OpenLDAP? Having built a production slapd on Debian all I have is "well, worked and didn't crash for me".