[Date Prev][Date Next]
slapd not starting at boot when compiled with --enable-sql
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Subject: slapd not starting at boot when compiled with --enable-sql
- From: Benin Technologies <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 21:24:56 +0100
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.fr; s=s1024; t=1359145518; bh=mq3EGLudLbyd74yq9PbPgYFo4A8BOih3aDmJADID2hs=; h=X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-SMTP:Received:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=KK+JJOnakMQnAcy4pYqQAKpYks1/EwFLHCa5GKfmYfUZFPa1QQNn0g/riCVcVfu/sg0YjBFR3OClN8vpnu5geK9eIxtobnCuPKBDo1PuAu2Yz0IGLHUrNSpczjajHzM6CgpHnvsd9wLMXqdhr4xKWyKWp9dZM5G5RV/j3pG1pwo=
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:11.0) Gecko/20120327 Thunderbird/11.0.1
I'm not sure wether this is an OpenLDAP issue or a Debian issue...
When installing OpenLDAP 2.4.33 from source on Debian 6.0.4 with
back-sql support, I'm unable to make it start at boot.
I tested it a few times to isolate the problem, and the simple fact of
installing OpenLDAP with "--enable-sql" seems to be the cause. My
"/etc/init.d/slapd" file works fine, but the service won't start at boot.
Does anybody have an idea ?
Below the details of my tests, I tried two configurations, without and
with back-sql enabled :
I installed OpenLDAP 2.4.33 WITHOUT back-sql support. (plain "./configure")
I installed an adequate "/etc/init.d/slapd" file (inspired from the file
shipped with the Debian package installation), and then I installed the
slapd service (update-rc.d slapd defaults).
When I reboot the debian server, everything works fine, slapd starts.
Same installation, but this time WITH back-sql support (./configure
Like before, I deployed my "/etc/init.d/slapd" file.
The file works fine ("/etc/init.d/slapd start" starts the OpenLDAP server)
Then I install the slapd service, it seems to install well (update-rc.d
slapd defaults). But when I reboot, slapd fails to start.
I tried the following commands :
# service slapd start
Starting OpenLDAP: slapd failed!
# /etc/init.d/slapd start
Starting OpenLDAP: slapd.
# service slapd stop
Stopping OpenLDAP: slapd
So it seems the "slapd" service can not be started by the "service"
command (and thus cannot be launched a boot).
NOTE that the ONLY difference between Config 1 and Config 2 is that I
compiled OpenLDAP with "--enable-sql". At this point, I don't even use a
back-sql backend (I'm still with the default configuration, using the
Does anybody have an idea what's happening ?
One last thing : I tried also to compile OpenLDAP with back-sql as a
dynamic loaded module (./configure --enable-modules --enable-sql=mod).
Same result, if my "slapd.conf" contains the instructions to dynamically
load "back_sql.la", then :
- OpenLDAP doesn't start at boot
- "#service slapd start" doesn't work
- "#/etc/init.d slapd start" still works
Note : I tried to use insserv instead of update-rc.d, same result