[Date Prev][Date Next]
Re: don't get running the slapd while using mdb backend
- To: Howard Chu <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: don't get running the slapd while using mdb backend
- From: Meike Stone <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 14:31:44 +0100
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:x-received:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=EkANlk4MfEDRzS/0lZ91EHjKfiRFW/QZkIHPjEed1Ts=; b=YgRSVifu7f6UD+WZ6EriO3Tw5m57LGF7q7fxdNfFoAaSTHBbMpHXVSaYwYJ91S1Z3/ NP8YlkXWFFUQlUaUono+hELRr260TSfirD2RP8FrNheGxME2pteUoImggumf/u7nVLP9 Gq6ZFxi1e0FTTiNY40AJ77JwX0jM3oi5jRb75xmg5eq8diXGIubLT6gbNtmDvqUdDj9R QHVYIJBzkB8825F66Kt24OABTtALxxZn2hrKAKV3t2FpYpiqErGCYAW0kPy8r9FfyU+y nSUkEo2rbclRU7vtYgCiGCCTXAx5jpDwtHhgyn4lE2ouBiDVmiYADF3MOCjr7a0LrIJ9 rPmQ==
- In-reply-to: <50F94029.email@example.com>
- References: <CAFNHiA8Cs5KiUNu3BM-bKW42Rwq8i-BLGzBS5Ftcn-7NoH1Owg@mail.gmail.com> <50F94029.firstname.lastname@example.org>
>> So my first question:
>> Does mdb have limitations like bdb it have aka BDB_IDL_LOGN?
> Yes. back-mdb is ~60% the same code as back-bdb/hdb, its indexing functions
> are basically identical.
Thanks for information, .. it was not that what I expected, so I think
for a lot of users with larger database
this is a problem and they use patched versions...
To find out, what the problem was, why *suddenly* the database was
extreme slowly, in spite of indexes, it took a long time for us.
So it would be great, to notice this in the admin guide and make a
page in the Faq-O-Matic.
>> Second, I set up an small lab for tests with mdb and don't get the
>> slapd started
>> with larger mdb size (10GB).
> Check your ulimits. MDB is much simpler than anything else but you are still
> required to understand how your own OS/platform works.
Thank for pointing me, this was the right hint (would be nice, to
notice this in the manual page too), because at this point I did not
realized, that I have to increase
the size of the virtual memory!
(I tried to generate a sparse manual (see my last post), to check if
there are any problems related to this.)
I use SLES and as discussed in my last thread with Quanah
there is limited the virtual memory
to the physical memory. Thats bad, but it happened. I don't know the
limits of other distributions.
I hope, that for mdb I don't must have at least the same size of RAM,
like the database is..?
Thank you very much!