Re: slapd-ldap and backend errors

While setting up and testing new 2.4 infra (2.4.33), I've come across
the situation where the proxy (slapd-ldap) doesn't pass LDAP_UNAVAILABLE
back to the client when the backend slapd goes away.  Is this behavior
configurable on the proxy, something along the lines of

It is not configurable, AFAIR.  It's by design, as the proxy struggles to
return as much information as possible while hiding problems at the remote
host side.  However I understand in some cases it might be preferable to
behave differently; something along the lines of the "onerr" directive for
slapd-meta(5).  I suggest you file an ITS <http://www.openldap.org/its>.

Hmm, I'll look into both paths (slapd-meta may suffice), thanks.

John Madden / Systems Engineer III
Office of Technology / Ivy Tech Community College of Indiana

    Free Software is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand
    the concept, you should think of Free as in 'free speech,' not
    as in 'free beer.' -- Richard Stallman