Re: Forcing TLS encryption

----- Original Message -----

I understand that, but this way, even when you're forcing TLS, users can still expose their passwords if their computers are mal-configured. SMTP, IMAP, FTP, etc don't allow this, because they reject the connection if LOGINNAME is given before STARTTLS.

It's kind of a security issue. Is it because in LDAP, username and password are given as one command, and the server doesn't have the chance to abort at that point? If so, then I guess it's unavoidable.