Re: Roles in OpenLDAP with back-sql

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012, David Rose wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is anybody know if it's possible to define roles in OpenLDAP using back-sql?

Here's the thing, we need to prevent some of our users to see "everything".
We need to filter results for some groups of users. But we need these
rules in the database (Postgres) to be able to change them dynamically.

Problem is that, currently, when a user send a search query, OpenLDAP
does not include in any way the DN of the user who made the query. As a
result we have trouble creating scopes by user/group.

Thanks

Not specific to back-sql, but if you need access control on the basis of the current bind DN, explore sets (OpenLDAP Admin Guide sec 8.5) relative to "user/dn" (IIRC "dn" is default so just "user" can be written, as seen in the admin guide examples).

You might be better off making some dummy data with a set ACL along the lines of test006 (stored with back-hdb or similar), then figuring out the appropriate back-sql views as a second step.