LDAP Administration

Hello,

I have recently taken over a bunch of systems controlled by an LDAP database - however, the previous admin. didn't add me to the needed group so that I can fully administer the LDAP directory.

Is there a way I can force LDAP to add me to this group?  I have root access to the Linux server where the OpenLDAP system is hosted, if that helps.  I've tried changing the .acl documents - that didn't seem to work to allow me to add myself to that group.  This is a production system, so taking it down for a long period of time, or messing it up, would be bad.

Thanks for any help,

Brian