Re: got into a "checksum error" situation

On 12 August 2012 00:00, Patrick Hemmer <openldap@stormcloud9.net> wrote:
> Sent: Sat Aug 11 2012 18:06:49 GMT-0400 (EDT)
> From: Jeff Dickens <jeff@seamanpaper.com>
> To: Gavin Henry <ghenry@suretecsystems.com> openldap-technical@openldap.org
> Subject: Re: got into a "checksum error" situation
> Yes, I edited it by hand.  Clearly not advisable since the comments said
> "don't do that", but since the server wouldn't start I couldn't use
> ldapmodify.
>> So you edited this by hand?
> You can use 'slapcat' and 'slapadd' to modify the config database offline.
> This is the recommended way.

Not sure if you know, but what you should be doing is making changes
and then running:

  slaptest -F myconf.d -d my_debug_level_if_different_from_my_conf

Then slapd doesn't need to start and you'll see any errors. You can
also do the same with:

  slapacl -F myconf.d --extra_options_from_man_slapacl

to test your ACLs whilst referencing man slapd.access (5)

Kind Regards,

Gavin Henry.
Managing Director.

T +44 (0) 1224 279484
M +44 (0) 7930 323266
F +44 (0) 1224 824887
E ghenry@suretecsystems.com

Open Source. Open Solutions(tm).

Suretec Systems is a limited company registered in Scotland. Registered
number: SC258005. Registered office: 24 Cormack Park, Rothienorman, Inverurie,
Aberdeenshire, AB51 8GL.

Subject to disclaimer at http://www.suretecgroup.com/disclaimer.html

Do you know we have our own VoIP provider called SureVoIP? See

Did you see our API news?