Re: ldapsearch: Search for Operational Attributes using wildcards

Uncle Hildegard wrote:
> I have a DIT that contains objects like this:
> uid=test,ou=user,ou=sales,o=Testcompany
> Now I want to find out all objects that have "sales" in their DN.

Try out the filter (ou:dn:=sales)

> "entryDN":
>     ldapsearch -x "(entryDN=*sales*)" cn
> That search didn't find anything.
> After that I tried
>     ldapsearch -x "(entryDN=uid=test,ou=user,ou=sales,o=Testcompany)" cn
> and got the expected result.
> Now it seems that as soon as I use a wildcard in the filter argument the
> search returns nothing.
> Even
>     ldapsearch -x "(entryDN=uid=test,ou=user,ou=sales,o=Testcompan*)" cn
> returns nothing.

entryDN is of LDAP syntax Distinguished Name  (
for which substring matching does not work just like for Directory String.
Look into the server's subschema subentry to find the applicable matching rules.

On my OpenLDAP server these are:
distinguishedNameMatch, dnOneLevelMatch, dnSubordinateMatch, dnSubtreeMatch,

> I've also tried things like
>     ldapsearch -x "(entryDN:dnSubtreeMatch:=*sales*)" cn
> which returned no result either.

This should be

Ciao, Michael.