Re: configure options

Turned out there was an LD_LIBRARY_PATH used for the already running openldap, but was set, so the "make test" prior to installation, was run against the installed libraries, instead of the newly compiled (but as yet uninstalled) ones in the build directory.

Arguably the test could "unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH" but that variable might be used to find berkeley dn or other thrid part libraries, so maybe LD_LIBRARY_PATH="`pwd`/libraries/liblber/.libs `pwd`/libraries/libldap/.libs" to the script that launches tests ?

Personally i alway have to add -R<prefix>/lib also, but this varies by platform, eg. linux has removed this in preference of a gcc option which passes options through to the linker, so it's probably hard to do in a platform-agnostic manner.