2.4.29 memberof: entry_encode: Assertion `i == a->a_numvals' failed.

Greetings,

Haven't used OpenLDAP since 2.1; I see it has come a long way. I have a few hundred static groups and am using the memberOf overlay. There's a hundred thousand or so people entries and thousands of memberships. The overlay is configured thusly:

# {0}memberof, {1}bdb, config
dn: olcOverlay={0}memberof,olcDatabase={1}bdb,cn=config
objectClass: olcOverlayConfig
objectClass: olcMemberOf
olcOverlay: {0}memberof
olcMemberOfDangling: drop
olcMemberOfRefInt: TRUE
olcMemberOfGroupOC: groupOfUniqueNames
olcMemberOfMemberAD: uniqueMember
olcMemberOfMemberOfAD: isMemberOf

(I know a number of these attributes are not strictly correct -- a legacy encumbrance)

When the replica starts a total update, it goes well for a while, then stops right here every time:

4f450e2d syncrepl_entry: rid=004 be_search (0)
4f450e2d syncrepl_entry: rid=004 cn=uc:org:nsit:integration:techag,ou=groups,dc=uchicago,dc=edu 4f450e2d conn=-1 op=0: memberof_op_add("cn=uc:org:nsit:integration:techag,ou=groups,dc=uchicago,dc=edu"): member="uid=chudler,ou=people,dc=uchicago,dc=edu" does not exist (stripping...)
slapd: entry.c:773: entry_encode: Assertion `i == a->a_numvals' failed.

The member ("uid=chudler") does exist in the master, I can find it with ldapsearch. I believe it does not yet exist in the replica. I'd like for total replication to succeed without doing an initial slapcat. Has anyone encountered this before? I am happy to debug if you need more information.

Version 2.4.29, also using the refint overlay if that matters.