Re: Google hits for OpenLDAP

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Sébastien Bernard <seb@frankengul.org> wrote:
Le 21/10/2011 01:55, Brett @Google a écrit :
I was talking about the NEED for such a document, not talking about who authored / would author it.

My point (perhaps unclear) was that openldap should have such a document, or at least not 'dis those who try..
Maybe, the quick-start guide could be expanded with different sessions.

There's another good source of documentation in the tests/script with all the major features being setup in tests repository.

I have been looking at the existing doco, in particular the quickstart (bould from source) is pretty good already.

The only thing i can think of, comparing zytrax to openldap docs, is that zytrax is all in the one place. Openldap's information is of much higher quality, but it is segmented into functional areas which require an understanding of openldap architecture before you can find the appropriate documentation. Newbies would not understand the openldap architecture, so would not be able to find docs.

For example, if you have a problem with a particular directive which belongs in a particular backend, you would need to understand the openldap architecture and the relationship between keywords and backends, so that you know to look at the relevent backend documentation. Likewise users would need to know the difference between global and per-backend options, to find the best docs.

Maybe in the documentation, hyperlink or comment could be added to the database sections to highlight the per-database docs ?

The tests directory is a bit of a treasure trove, config wise. But hard to say how to make them acessable to everyone.

Cheers
Brett

--
The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Albert Einstein