Re: Schema question... userPassword doesn't work

John Tobin wrote:
I have reviewed a number of pages to ensure I am doing what appears to be the
correct procedure, for instance :

_http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP-BindPW.html
_
Which lists:

File: fratbrother.ldif

dn: cn=fratbrother,o=delta
cn: fratbrother
sn: fratbrother
objectclass: top
objectclass: person
userPassword: fratsecret

ldapadd -f fratbrother.ldif -cxv -D "cn=DeanWormer,o=delta" -w secret2

And other similar updates.

But on my machine I create something simple like:

File : dark.ldif

dn: cn=jctobin,dc=dark,dc=net
cn: jctobin
userPassword: Hello1$

Ldapadd -x -D “cn=admin,dc=dark,dc=net” -W -f dark.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
Adding new entry “cn=jctobin,dc=dark,dc=net”
Ldap_add: Object class violation (65)
Additional info: no objectClass attribute

Obviously my ldap server does not like the “userPassword” class.

"Obviously" you have the reading comprehension skills of a turnip.
The error message you received says nothing about "userPassword" at all.

Compare your dark.ldif to your fratbrother.ldif. One of these is not like the other. If you can't spot the differences, then you need more help than an email list can provide.

--
  -- Howard Chu