Re: migrating from (old) /etc/shadow to LDAP

El mar, 20-09-2011 a las 19:18 -0400, Christopher Wood escribiÃ:
> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 05:57:29PM -0300, Gerardo Herzig wrote:
> > Hi all. Im migrating the /etc/shadow accounts to an LDAP enviroment.
> >
> > As the /etc/shadow containing server has suffered several upgrades,
> > there is more than one crypto mechanism applied.
> >
> > Some entries are in the form $2a$10$..... this is an {CRYPT} entry, and
> > have no problems with that.
> >
> > Others (the oldest ones) doesn't seem to have a prefix at all. There are
> > "short" strings like
> > bHwTgdCTnfpco
> > lJvWLr8sfW.Hg
> > and so on...
> >
> > I tried with {MD5}, {SHA} + encrypted password with no luck.
> >
> > Any one knows which crypto mechanism is applied here? I think they are
> > from an old Suse 9.1 (not the Enterprise Server Edition, the realy old
> > SuSE 9.1)
>
> They look like plain crypts, of the original {CRYPT} kind.

Thanks Chris for your answer. I dont know what to say...{CRYPT} is
working for the $2a$10$... kind of entries, but not for the other
kind...Obviously it is a hash, because i can do a ssh with the user and
it is working ok....I am missing something here, but cant figure out
what is...

I will keep digging, thanks again Chris!

Gerardo