Re: What expect to log at info level?

Dear Christian,

On 19/09/11 11:13 +0200, Christian Manal wrote:
Am 19.09.2011 10:57, schrieb Nick Urbanik:
Dear Christian,

On 19/09/11 09:52 +0200, Christian Manal wrote:
QUESTIONS:

1. What should I expect to be logged at info priority with loglevel -1?
2. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I may be missing here?
Hi,

as far as I know, OpenLDAP doesn't really use syslog priorities. You
have to set at least 'debug' and then control what you want to log with
the loglevel setting in slapd.conf.

With production machines, setting syslog to log debug priority for
loglevel stats caused a massive write load to the disk, with excessive
detail written at each client connection, making logging impractical
to use at that level.

Are you sure this is correct?  If so, then no logging is practical
with OpenLDAP, which would be rather sad.

Not 100%. Since OpenLDAP has it's own facility on my boxes (local4),
this hasn't been an issue for me so far.

We have OpenLDAP logging to its own facility, with nothing but
loglevel 'stats', we get in the order of 25 GB of log file from
OpenLDAP alone.

I guess it's not an issue for you because you have fewer clients than
we do (large and very busy clusters of mail servers, RADIUS servers,
DHCP servers).  For us it's a bug: 7046.
--
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24