Re: Authenticate Mac OS X users against OpenLDAP on Debian

I configured the LDAP access on the Mac, and it can indeed see the users and groups from the openldap server. But when I try to login after clicking "Other...", the login window shakes around, and nothing happens.

Also, please realize that OS X is aware of some SASL mechanisms, although it is (at least historically) sadly unconfigurable on this matter. As such, if your installation expects simple binds, please see

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200602/msg00210.html

It's a bit late to reply to this, but it may be useful for others.

Indeed, as Aaron suggested, I had to disable SASL. I did it in the server config ("cn=config") by setting "olcSaslSecProps" to "noanonymous,noplain,noactive,nodict".

Then there was a different problem, easy to solve once found.
On the Mac, under Accounts: Login Options, "Allow network users to log in ...", behind the Options button, the selection was "Only these network users:", with an empty list!! Really stupid. Setting it to "All network users" fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.

MI

Mac OS X ships with OpenLDAP's command line tools. You may wish to verify that ldapwhoami(1) and similar OpenLDAP programs work first, prior to introducing additional software like DSLDAPv3.

Such testing may well reveal a need for configuration of OpenLDAP's ldap.conf(5).