Customizing organizationalUnit

Hello all,
    I'm migrating a server from an older OpenLDAP 2.1 install to 2.4.21
and I've run into a (hopefully) small issue. On our old install we had
added some attributes to organizationalUnit ("mail" is really the
important one) just by editing the schema files, but I can't figure out
how to do the same on 2.4.21 using the LDAP interface. I found this
email on the list:

http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201106/msg00182.html

But it doesn't seem to have any replies. I've been fiddling with
ldapmodify but I keep on getting strange errors:

root@lsmail:/etc/ldap/schema# ldapmodify -x -D
cn=admin,dc=cpicorp,dc=com -W -f CPI-core.ldif
Enter LDAP Password:
modifying entry "cn=core,cn=schema,cn=config"
ldap_modify: No such object (32)
        matched DN: cn=schema,cn=config

Is this possible with 2.4.21, or do I need to stick with an older
version of OpenLDAP?

Thanks,

Derek