Re: Suitability of LDAP as DNS backend - PowerDNS LDAP backend moving to unmaintained status

Nick Milas wrote:
On 28/4/2011 3:13 ÎÎ, Torsten Schlabach (Tascel eG) wrote:

So IMO LDAP *is* the best suited backend storage for DNS database data
that I know of. (I am always open to new ideas I may not yet have heared or
though of.)

Thank you and Ben for your feedback. I agree to the above, that's why we
decided to use it in the first place!

What does PowerDNS to what BIND doesn't do for you?

Frankly, I don't like BIND having a very large share of the market!
Additionally, I have come to like PowerDNS and its LDAP backend; it has
an easy setup and it is fast; it also has a nice "family"-like
community. Moreover, as we have recently invested a lot of effort to
setup the current backbone (including an internal Web application for
DNS record management) and BIND uses a different LDAP schema, we would
not be willing to start a new migration process... Unfortunately, we
didn't expect that PowerDNS LDAP-backend would remain without a
developer and we have no resources (funds or people) to engage in
PowerDNS ldap-backend development.

So, I am posting here partly to attract attention of LDAP
administrators/organizations using LDAP as DNS store in their DNS Server
Software, esp. PowerDNS and developers who might be interested therein.

IMO, due to the hierarchical nature of the zone data, LDAP is the *most* appropriate data store for DNS data, it beats SQL on many counts. I've spent some time with the BIND code but hadn't even heard of PowerDNS.

Unfortunately, at the moment, while I believe this is interesting and worthwhile, I don't have the time to spend on it. But if anyone else in the community wants to contribute, I'd be open to hosting any relevant work on the OpenLDAP code repos.

--
  -- Howard Chu