Re: Suitability of LDAP as DNS backend - PowerDNS LDAP backend moving to unmaintained status

On 28/4/2011 3:13 ÎÎ, Torsten Schlabach (Tascel eG) wrote:

So IMO LDAP *is* the best suited backend storage for DNS database data
that I know of. (I am always open to new ideas I may not yet have heared or
though of.)

Thank you and Ben for your feedback. I agree to the above, that's why we decided to use it in the first place!

What does PowerDNS to what BIND doesn't do for you?

Frankly, I don't like BIND having a very large share of the market! Additionally, I have come to like PowerDNS and its LDAP backend; it has an easy setup and it is fast; it also has a nice "family"-like community. Moreover, as we have recently invested a lot of effort to setup the current backbone (including an internal Web application for DNS record management) and BIND uses a different LDAP schema, we would not be willing to start a new migration process... Unfortunately, we didn't expect that PowerDNS LDAP-backend would remain without a developer and we have no resources (funds or people) to engage in PowerDNS ldap-backend development.

So, I am posting here partly to attract attention of LDAP administrators/organizations using LDAP as DNS store in their DNS Server Software, esp. PowerDNS and developers who might be interested therein.

Nick