Re: seeking guidance with back-shell setup

Am Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:33:15 -0800
schrieb Elle Y Suzuki <esuzuki@law.berkeley.edu>:

> hello,
> my thunderbird does not appear to be using back-shell's
> searchexample.sh..?
> i have compiled openldap on a desktop windows xp machine with the
> back-shell backend enabled without threads.
> slapd.conf is configured as suggested in the file searchexample.conf
> at http://tinyurl.com/47t9ets.  i have added the file
> searchexample.sh from http://tinyurl.com/4823rtf in the appropriate
> directory.  i start up slapd, /usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 256 -h
> ldap://localhost and it appears to fire up:
> $ /usr/local/libexec/slapd -d 256 -h ldap://localhost
> @(#) $OpenLDAP: slapd 2.4.24 (Feb 14 2011 09:29:58)

You should read the manual page slapd-shell(5) for guidance.

> my current goal is the following: get slapd to run with a shell
> backend and thunderbird on my local desktop.  our team's overall goal
> is to enable this setup on a linux server: we'd like to eliminate our
> ldap server and utilize this slapd+back-shell mechanism to access our
> oracle db for our ldap clients.  once we are able to get this all
> working with back-shell, we'd like to replace the shell role with php
> scripts.  any guidance on this task in general is greatly appreciated.

If you really want to access a sql database and relay the results to
ldap you should test with back-sql(5), there are test suites in the
source code servers/slapd/back-sql/rdbms_depend

Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
GPG Key ID:DA147B05