Issue with OpenLDAP shared libraries complie on AIX 6.1 using IBM xL Compiler

Hello

I'm having an issue when using the IBM xL Compiler (not GNU GCC or any other part of the GNU stack) and the configure script fails to detect that ld can link shared libaries.

The configure I am using is:

./configure --prefix=/opt/openldap --disable-slapd --disable-man --disable-client --enable-shared --with-tls  --with-cyrus-sasl

A snipit from the below configure show's that the configure script fails to detect that ld can compile shared libraries.

checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 131072
checking command to parse /usr/ccs/bin/nm -B output from cc_r -qlanglvl=extc89 object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if cc_r -qlanglvl=extc89 static flag  works... yes
checking for cc_r -qlanglvl=extc89 option to produce PIC...
checking if cc_r -qlanglvl=extc89 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the cc_r -qlanglvl=extc89 linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... no
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... yes
checking whether a program can dlopen itself... no
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
configure: creating libtool
checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc_r -qlanglvl=extc89 -E
checking whether we are using MS Visual C++... no
checking for be_app in -lbe... no
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) no

Any idea why this is happening???

checking whether the cc_r -qlanglvl=extc89 linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... no

Or assistance on how I could modify the configure script to work.

Cheers

Peter