A LDAPS related issue

Hi, folks
I am using the APIs from openldap and recently run into a problem which upset me.  Following is the framework of the function.
   LDAP* ld = NULL;
   char * uri =" ldaps://xxx.xxx.xxx:636";
   ldap_set_option(...);   //using LDAP v3
   ldap_set_option(...);   // set LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_REQUIRE_CERT to deman
   ldap_set_option(...);   // set LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_CACERTDIR to /tmp/ldapsCA/
   ldap_initialize(&ld, uri);
   return 0;
Above function is called in a while loop to authenticate users to a LDAPS server when authentication request comes up.  This function works fine. BUT after one successful authentication, if I delete CA certificates of server's certificate under /tmp/ldapsCA/, subsequent authentications will STILL succeed. If restart this daemon, no authentication will succeed, because CA certificates under /tmp/ldapsCA/ has been deleted.
Why I delete CA certificates under /tmp/ldapsCA/? I just want to simulate "certificate change".
Is the openssl library cache someting??
Any one has any ideas about this? I will really appreciate it.