back-sql disconnects

While I have my slapd-server completely up and running, I do have one obstacle. The sql connection disconnects after some time of idling (MySQL server has gone away). Probably because the maximum seconds of idling has been reached. This means I have to restart slapd to fix the connection. I could open a cronjob to do that, but that's more a last-resort-solution.

Is there a config option for reconnection or is there another possible solution? I could imagine that slapd would try to reconnect in case it loses sql connection because this could happen for all sort of reaons.

Server information: I am on Debian Squeeze using openldap 2.4.17, recompiled with back-sql and openssl. The sql server is MySQL 5/InnoDB. I do not have full control over the sql server. So I cannot add a user without idling limit.