Re: Bind accepts any password where the real password is a prefix?

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Christopher Kenna <cjkenna@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We are running OpenLDAP at our organization to do authentication for
> Linux machines.  One strange thing I noticed is that I can bind to the
> server using my password, or *any* password that contains my actual
> password as a prefix.  Let me explain with an example.
>
> Suppose my password is "banana" (it's not).  Then these passwords work
> to bind to the database:
> - banana
> - banana2
> - bananafjksdfs
>
> But these won't work:
> - mbanana
> - banan
>
> I'm testing this with this command:
> ldapsearch -x -W -ZZ -H ldap://<server_address>.com \
>    -b dc=mydomain,dc=com \
>    -D 'uid=<my_uid>,ou=people,dc=mydomain,dc=com' \
>    '(uid=<my_uid>)'
>
> Any ideas about why this happens? Thanks.
>
>  -- Chris

A buddy of mine once told me his company thought they were setting
1024 character passwords, but they were using des and only the first 8
characters were used.

It may be that your system is using des passwords

http://grex.org/staffnote/sun/passwd.xhtml