Re: OpenLDAP Scaling

Brian Zuromski wrote:
Howard great thanks!!  32 or 64 bit OS?  Can you share the tuning you
made to get the results?

64 bit, running a Linux 2.6.26 kernel. No special config; since the authentication test is a read-only test all that matters is getting all the entries into cache and indexing the attributes used in a username-to-DN lookup (objectclass and uid) - very ordinary config. You don't have to get into any exotic tuning for a server on such a slow network.

On gigabit ethernet it was a bit more challenging - at maximum load the ethernet driver completely consumed 100% of a CPU core so at that point the server was CPU limited instead of network limited. Also in that case I had to pin slapd threads to specific CPU cores to get peak performance. Letting the Linux scheduler assign threads randomly to cores cost about 10-15% of performance. (There are no slapd config mechanisms for this; you just do it by hand on the commandline using taskset.) At any rate, the slapd code was never the bottleneck in any of these tests.

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com