Re: log files and recovery

Hi Buchan,

Thank you very much Buchan. So the thing I understand is that during recovery, If it goes through log files then it tries to match the database entries and log entries. is this right? and I just want to know about following things.
1. If I include "checkpoint" then will my ldap processing get slow because I have to upload millions of data every day?
2. what time and kbsize you suggest I should set in checkpoint for such case?
3. If I include "checkpoint" and "set_flags DB_LOGS_AUTOREMOVE" then will log files get deleted automatically or I have to run db_archive?

Regards,
Mukim Pathan

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Buchan Milne <bgmilne@staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:
On Thursday 04 June 2009 17:24:48 mukim pathan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am unable to understand the answers for following question which i got on
> net. This might be naive questions but I really need to know the answers.
>
> 1. why does ldap write log files and what are its content?

To ensure that changes aren't lost, while getting decent performance. The same
reason any database has transaction logs.

> 2. why does ldap go through all log files during recovery?

Most likely because you didn't configure checkpointing,  see the 'checkpoint'
directive in 'man slapd-bdb' and 'man slapd-hdb'.

Regards,
Buchan