Initial setup confusion

I'm attempting to run openldap on intrepid ibex and am encountering some problems which are most likely down to my understanding. So any newbie help is much appreciated.

The first confusion is slapd.conf versus slapd.d. I don't have a slapd.conf file to start with and /etc/ldap/slapd.d is empty. So should I hand-craft a slapd.conf (despite the docs saying this is the old way) and convert it to slapd.d format or do I create an ldif file and put it somewhere (presumably in slapd.d or ldapmodify it)?

I've also got a schema I wish to import and currently I'm ldapmodify-ing it in, it's of this form.

    dn: cn=schema,cn=config
    changeType: modify
    add: olcAttributeTypes
    olcAttributeTypes: ...

    dn: cn=schema,cn=config
    changeType: modify
    add: olcObjectClasses
    olcObjectClasses: ....

As you can see I'm adding custom attribute types and object classes into cn=schema,cn=config and this appears to work fine, however they are not persisted across slapd restarts. I presume I need to put them under cn=mycustomconfig,cn=schema,cn=config and then they will persist?

I'm sure I'm just missing something fundamental here. More coffee is probably needed.

TIA for any help.

Luke