Cannot modify directory entry with custom attribute

I cannot add a custom objectclass to a directory entry. When I remove my custom
objectclass and attributes, I can modify the entry normally. When I add them,
I get an "Invalid Syntax (21)" error. I've googled extensively, and can find
other cases of this happening, but not an effective solution. What am I missing

attributetype ( NAME 'vennBase'
attributetype ( NAME 'vennClass'
    DESC 'A single set this host belongs to'
objectClass ( NAME 'vennHost'
    SUP top
    MUST ( vennBase $ vennClass )

#added to /etc/ldap/slapd.conf
include         /etc/ldap/schema/venn.schema

# command
/etc/init.d/slapd restart

dn: cn=freyr,ou=Hosts,dc=websages,dc=com
cn: freyr
objectclass: top
objectclass: ipHost
objectclass: device
objectclass: vennHost
vennBase: debian-etch
vennClass: ldap_server
vennClass: bind9_server
vennClass: cfengine_server
vennClass: openldap_server
vennClass: irc_server

# command
ldapmodify -xh freyr.websages.com -D "cn=root,dc=websages,dc=com" -f freyr.ldif -W

modifying entry "cn=freyr,ou=Hosts,dc=websages,dc=com"
ldap_modify: Invalid syntax (21)
        additional info: objectclass: value #3 invalid per syntax

if I remove all the venn* stuff from the .ldif, everything works fine...

Any help would be appreciated.