ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

Yesterday I tried importing a large ldif file into my ldap server via
phpldapadmin and everything got hosed during the import.

I tried deleting the db.* and *.bdb and log.* files so I could start over
and tried importing the ldif file from the command line.  Yikes!  I don't
think that was a good idea!  Now, anytime I try to start the ldap server and
run any kind of command, I get:

ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

I read a little about using tools to recover the database, but since I
already deleted the .bdb files, I think I am out of luck there.  Is my only
hope to re-install the server?  Does anyone know why this happens?

Thanks so much for all of your help,

Kristen Walker

Digital Media Resources Developer
Instructional Media Services
Santa Barbara County Education Office
4400 Cathedral Oaks Road
P.O. Box 6307
Santa Barbara, CA 93160-6307
(805)964-4711 ext. 5244/FAX (805)683-3597