Re: DN question

Kós Tamás wrote:

I got a little bit off topic problem, but I hope you can help me about it. We got an LDAP directory, with many names. We got some same CNs for instance: John Smiths. The only difference is between the 2 names is the e-mail address. How can I modify one of them? ldapmodify request DN, but our enviroment DN seems to be DN: CN=John Smiths. How can I include the e-mail address to the DN?

You can use either just attribute 'mail' as characteristic attribute for forming the RDN.

mail=jsmiths,<..rest of DN..>
mail=johnsmiths,<..rest of DN..>

Or you could use so-called multi-valued RDNs:

cn=John Smiths+mail=jsmiths,<..rest of DN..>
cn=John Smiths+mail=johnsmiths,<..rest of DN..>

As you can see , and + and some other chars are special in DN string representation so you have to escape them (see RFC 4514).

Ciao, Michael.