Newbie OpenLDAP woes

Hi everyone,

I am new to OpenLDAP and this list.  I joined because I am trying to set up
an OpenLDAP server so that Moodle and ELGG can authenticate users from the
LDAP server.  It is a little more difficult than I thought it would be, and
I am running into some frustrating problems that I don't understand.  I am
hoping someone here might be able to help.

I am using Ubuntu and using the book Mastering OpenLDAP as my guide.

I have the server set up, edited config files and installed phpldapadmin to
make things a little easier for me.  I added my first entries but do not see
them when I do a search, and nothing appears under my base in phpldapadmin
(see attached screen shot).  I don't get any complaints when I add the
entries from my .ldif file, so I just don't understand why they don't seem
to end up in my directory.

If I do this command, sudo slapcat -a '(uid=barbara)' , the result is:

ou: Users
uid: barbara
sn: Jensen
cn: Barbara Jensen
givenName: Barbara
displayName: Barbara Jensen
mail: barbara@example.com
userPassword:: c2VjcmV0
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
structuralObjectClass: inetOrgPerson
entryUUID: 8565f97e-e25b-102c-828c-238ab0ab2691
creatorsName: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
modifiersName: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
createTimestamp: 20080709233555Z
modifyTimestamp: 20080709233555Z
entryCSN: 20080709233555Z#000005#00#000000

So, it seems like there is a user with uid barbara in the directory.  But if
I try using ldapsearch to find that user, and I use this command,

ldapsearch -x  -D 'cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com' -b
'ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com' -LLL '(userID=barbara)' +

I get this:
No such object (32)

Also, it seems like I can't connect to my database unless I do an anonymous
bind.  When I try typing in a password to login to phpldapadmin it rejects
my credentials and the same thing when I try using -w with a password on the
command line.

Thanks so much for any and all help in advance!

Kristen Walker

Digital Media Resources Developer
Instructional Media Services
Santa Barbara County Education Office
4400 Cathedral Oaks Road
P.O. Box 6307
Santa Barbara, CA 93160-6307
(805)964-4711 ext. 5244/FAX (805)683-3597