Newbie OpenLDAP woes

Hi everyone,

I am new to OpenLDAP and this list.  I joined because I am trying to set up
an OpenLDAP server so that Moodle and ELGG can authenticate users from the
LDAP server.  It is a little more difficult than I thought it would be, and
I am running into some frustrating problems that I don't understand.  I am
hoping someone here might be able to help.

I am using Ubuntu and using the book Mastering OpenLDAP as my guide.

I have the server set up, edited config files and installed phpldapadmin to
make things a little easier for me.  I added my first entries but do not see
them when I do a search, and nothing appears under my base in phpldapadmin
(see attached screen shot).  I don't get any complaints when I add the
entries from my .ldif file, so I just don't understand why they don't seem
to end up in my directory.

If I do this command, sudo slapcat -a '(uid=barbara)' , the result is:

dn:
ou: Users
uid: barbara
sn: Jensen
cn: Barbara Jensen
givenName: Barbara
displayName: Barbara Jensen
mail: barbara@example.com
userPassword:: c2VjcmV0
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
structuralObjectClass: inetOrgPerson
entryUUID: 8565f97e-e25b-102c-828c-238ab0ab2691
creatorsName: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
modifiersName: cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com
createTimestamp: 20080709233555Z
modifyTimestamp: 20080709233555Z
entryCSN: 20080709233555Z#000005#00#000000

So, it seems like there is a user with uid barbara in the directory.  But if
I try using ldapsearch to find that user, and I use this command,

ldapsearch -x  -D 'cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com' -b
'ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com' -LLL '(userID=barbara)' +

I get this:
No such object (32)

Also, it seems like I can't connect to my database unless I do an anonymous
bind.  When I try typing in a password to login to phpldapadmin it rejects
my credentials and the same thing when I try using -w with a password on the
command line.

Thanks so much for any and all help in advance!

-Kristen

--
Kristen Walker

Digital Media Resources Developer
Instructional Media Services
Santa Barbara County Education Office
4400 Cathedral Oaks Road
P.O. Box 6307
Santa Barbara, CA 93160-6307
(805)964-4711 ext. 5244/FAX (805)683-3597
kwalker@sbceo.org
http://www.sbceoportal.org