ACLs Seem to Have No Effect

I am having some difficulty setting up the ACLs on my OpenLDAP server (2.4.8). No matter what I change, the ACL rules I write into my slapd.conf file seem to have no effect at all.

I have followed the FAQ here to try to set a simple password change ACL:

As well as another to try to block Anonymous binds:

But neither seem to have any effect at all. My present slapd.conf ACLs are as follows:
access to attrs=userPassword
by self =xw
by anonymous auth

# allow only rootdn to read the monitor
access to *
	by self write
	by anonymous none
	by users read
Is there some other part of the configuration that might disable ACLs.