Re: Trouble Installing LDAP Client On Ubuntu Linux

Ldap Newbie skrev, on 07-02-2008 17:35:

I have some trouble with the installation of the LDAP client on Ubuntu Linux.
I followed the instructions as described the articles below.
1. <http://www.linux.com/feature/114074>
2. <http://mcwhirter.com.au/node/25>
Although I followed the steps in the article my Ubuntu keeps running exactly
as before, authenticating without using LDAP. Problem is that I don't have
a clue what's happening. So any suggestions on what files to check or what
commands to run to test things are appreciated.
What I do know about this configuration problem is:
* The LDAP server is up and running, it's usable from another application
* I don't see any incoming traces when I run slapd in full debug mode
and try some actions like rebooting or getent passwd from the client
* The getent passwd <username> test as described in article .2 fails
So likely something went wrong with the configuration of
$ apt-get install libpam-ldap libnss-ldap Is there a way I can rerun the installer so that I can verify the configuration
data I entered. What other things should I try ?
All suggestions apprectiated.

I know next to nothing about Ubuntu except that it's derived from Debian. However, both pam_ldap and nss_ldap need correctly configured configuration files. How to do this would probably be documented in your standard documentation. Otherwise your vendor forums would probably be the right place.

Tony Earnshaw
Email: tonni at hetnet dot nl