Re: NOOP and case change renames

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
On Wed, 2008-01-09 at 18:37 -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
'way back I recall explicitly allowing this case, but the current backend code
doesn't. I think it's worth filing an ITS for this.

Done. ITS#5319

Preliminary fix in HEAD... For renames that just change the case of the DN, there's no further issues.

As for renaming an entry to exactly the same DN, I could go either way. If we
ignore it and silently return success, it will still generate replication
traffic, which may or may not be desired.

Naturally, I would prefer that it behave as AD does, and I think that it would ensure things remain tested (less differing behaviours). I don't expect people do this kind of rename while expecting a NOOP, so replication traffic seems reasonable.

Except that it doesn't make sense at the moment. Since renaming to exactly the same DN is treated as a no-op, the entry's modifyTimestamp, modifiersName, and entryCSN are not updated. (I.e., the entry is completely untouched.) There really should not be a replication event in this case. Either that, or we have to actually write the entry and update these operational attributes, so it's not really a no-op any more.
--
-- Howard Chu
Chief Architect, Symas Corp. http://www.symas.com