Re: do_bind: invalid dn

On Wednesday, 5 May 2010 19:51:37 Joshua Lim wrote:
> Hi, I'm a newbie, downloaded a Windows compilation of OpenLDAP v2.4.18
> from http://www.userbooster.de/en/download/openldap-for-windows.aspx
>
> Am having some problems trying to get a client to bind to my setup, the
> error is: do_bind: invalid dn
>
> Hope to receive some pointers.   Thanks.  : )
>

> My slapd.conf (i basically used the default, only suffix, rootdn and
> rootpw is changed):
> ********************************
> database    bdb
> suffix        "dc=click,dc=com"
> rootdn        "cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com"
> # Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
> # be avoid.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
> # Use of strong authentication encouraged.
> rootpw        password
> # The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
> # should only be accessible by the slapd and slap tools.
> # Mode 700 recommended.
> directory ./data
> dirtyread
> searchstack 20
> # Indices to maintain
> index mail pres,eq
> index objectclass pres
> index default eq,sub
> index sn eq,sub,subinitial
> index telephonenumber
> index cn

[...]

You don't say if/how/what you loaded data into the directory, so the only
assumption we can make is that you were trying to connect as Root DN.

> conn=0 op=0 do_bind: invalid dn (wael)

"wael" is not a DN. Most likely, you want to bind as:
cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com

For example, if you have ldapsearch available on the same host, something
like:

ldapsearch -x -D cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com -h localhost -W -b '' namingContexts

(one of the few searches you can currently do that would produce some output).

Now, until you can explain to yourself what the above command does, you may
want to spend more time reading than configuring ....

Regards,
Buchan