Re: do_bind: invalid dn

Buchan Milne wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 May 2010 19:51:37 Joshua Lim wrote:
Hi, I'm a newbie, downloaded a Windows compilation of OpenLDAP v2.4.18
from http://www.userbooster.de/en/download/openldap-for-windows.aspx

Am having some problems trying to get a client to bind to my setup, the
error is: do_bind: invalid dn

Hope to receive some pointers.   Thanks.  : )

My slapd.conf (i basically used the default, only suffix, rootdn and
rootpw is changed):
********************************
database    bdb
suffix        "dc=click,dc=com"
rootdn        "cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged.
rootpw        password
# The database directory MUST exist prior to running slapd AND
# should only be accessible by the slapd and slap tools.
# Mode 700 recommended.
directory ./data
dirtyread
searchstack 20
# Indices to maintain
index mail pres,eq
index objectclass pres
index default eq,sub
index sn eq,sub,subinitial
index telephonenumber
index cn

[...]

You don't say if/how/what you loaded data into the directory, so the only assumption we can make is that you were trying to connect as Root DN.
Joshua > Hi Buchan, thanks for replying. No data, I've not come to that yet. Yes, I'm connecting as Root DN.
conn=0 op=0 do_bind: invalid dn (wael)

"wael" is not a DN. Most likely, you want to bind as:
cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com

For example, if you have ldapsearch available on the same host, something like:

ldapsearch -x -D cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com -h localhost -W -b '' namingContexts
Joshua >  localhost didn't work, i used my pc name and got:

ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

Log shows:

slap_listener_activate(2):
>>> slap_listener(ldap://JOSHUAPC:389)
connection_get(10): got connid=0
connection_read(10): checking for input on id=0
ber_get_next
ber_get_next: tag 0x30 len 47 contents:
op tag 0x60, time 1273506428
ber_get_next
conn=0 op=0 do_bind
ber_scanf fmt ({imt) ber:
ber_scanf fmt (m}) ber:
>>> dnPrettyNormal: <cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com>
<<< dnPrettyNormal: <cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com>, <cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com>
do_bind: version=3 dn="cn=wael,dc=click,dc=com" method=128
send_ldap_result: conn=0 op=0 p=3
send_ldap_response: msgid=1 tag=97 err=49
ber_flush2: 22 bytes to sd 2140
connection_get(10): got connid=0
connection_read(10): checking for input on id=0
ber_get_next
ber_get_next on fd 10 failed errno=0 (unknown WSA error)
connection_close: conn=0 sd=10