Re: Admin Guide: Tuning 21.1.2 Disks and virtual servers

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey@uvm.edu> wrote:
> So, let's say I'm crazy and I want to investigate putting ldap servers on
> VMware Guests --- do I care about any of the directions in section 21.1.2
> about separating the logs and the db or not?

>From my experience that stuff is more relevant when you are worried
about performance on a physical server.   I don't know much about how
vmware handles io distribution when a single VM is making requests to
separate disks, but I suspect that you would get slightly better
performance even in vmware when the db is in a different disk than the
logs.

In general I have had pretty rotten experiences with running a LDAP
server on a VM.  I have noticed that the db tends to get corrupted (or
have problems with replication) when the server is running on a VM.
These problems tend to happen a lot less when stuffs running on a
physical server.

HTH

Aravind.