Re: virtual attribute

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Liu, Michael <michael_liu@harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are using OpenLDAP as a frontend proxy for another LDAP server on the
> backend. On the backend server, "displayname" attribute is not populated
> but cn is populated. We like to fake out a virtual "displayname"
> attribute on the frontend proxy OpenLDAP server, and the value of that
> attribute needs to come from "cn" attribute.
>
> Is there a way to do this?
> Any help is highly appricated.

Can i clarify what you are asking, as i might have a similar problem.

Multiple cn attributes are allowed in the standard(s), but it is now
preferable to havie one displayName attribute value which, in the case
of multiple cn's is better than choosing an arbitrary cn attribute at
random.

Is your question, can the singular value of displayName be chosen
automatically from the dn, rather than be explicitly stated, or copied
from another attribute (ie. you have an existing database which has no
displayName attribute, generally ?

Cheers
Brett