Re: ACL problem in slapd.conf

On 04/09/2009 12:02, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
I would like to allow a user to edit everything in a given subtree.

For example, I would like to allow
uid=Operator,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com to edit all entries which are in

I tried to follow http://www.zytrax.com/books/ldap/ch6/#access to set up
access for that user, but I keep getting "insufficient access".

onn=5 fd=15 ACCEPT from IP= (IP=
conn=5 op=0 BIND dn="uid=Operator,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com" method=128
conn=5 op=0 BIND dn="uid=Operator,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com"
mech=SIMPLE ssf=0
conn=5 op=0 RESULT tag=97 err=0 text=
conn=5 op=1 DEL dn="uid=d.user3,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com"
conn=5 op=1 RESULT tag=107 err=50 text=no write access to entry

My rule in slapd.conf is:

access to dn="ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com"
by dn="uid=Operator,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com" write
by dn="uid=Operator,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com" read

I also tried to use:

access to dn.subtree="ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com"

But then I'm not even able to connect.

I recommend that you read the chapter on access control from the *OpenLDAP* admin guide:

In this particular case, I expect that you have other access rules that may be blocking this one - remember that order is important, and the first rule matching on the <what> part will define the access level.

Help in setting up ACLs is available through two other means:

1) If you use the command line ldap* tools, they often output some additional info along with the error 50, like this:

ldap_delete: Insufficient access (50)
	additional info: no write access to parent

2) You can enable loglevel acl in your configuration file and check the logs to see which rules are being used.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post back here with your full set of ACLs, and information on the version of slapd you're using.