Updating a private schema (cn=config)?

I need to update one of our internal LDAP schemas, but am not sure of the best process to use. Haven't managed to find any info on this, especially using the newer cn=config configuration stuff. Using the latest Ubuntu Intrepid OpenLDAP version (2.4.11)

I've tried deleting the schema, but keep getting a "server won't allow" error. Deleting all my LDAP entries doesn't help that. It seems that once you have a schema defined you can't delete it using a GUI tool like Luma nor using LDIF directives with OpenLDAP running.

Do I just shut down my LDAP server, and delete the entry in the cn=config directory, then re-install the new schema version?

What about any entries that depend on the schema? Will they be affected...that is, do I need to delete them all and re-add them? I guess if I knew when a schema is actually used (eg. only at add/modify times....or are there links to from the entries that are used at other times?) it would help?

Thanks for the advice...

--
Andrzej Taramina
http://www.chaeron.com