Re: Updating a private schema (cn=config)?

--On Wednesday, December 10, 2008 9:45 AM -0500 Andrzej Jan Taramina <andrzej@chaeron.com> wrote:

What about any entries that depend on the schema?  Will they be
affected...that is, do I need to delete them all and re-add them?  I
guess if I knew when a schema is actually used (eg. only at add/modify
times....or are there links to from the entries that are used at other
times?) it would help?

Thanks for the advice...

There's a whole host of issues around schema with cn=config that's not really addressed right now. What if a core schema element changes due to some RFC, and that's updated in a future OpenLDAP release. How do the cn=config based LDAP servers update that schema? etc.

What I do, after raising this issue with other of the OpenLDAP developers, is copy in the schema files shipped with the release (after stopping slapd). I do this for Zimbra's private schema (which changes regularly) as well.

As you wondered, this could be problematic if there are schema changes that are not compatible with your existing entries.

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc