Re: n-way replication question

Gavin Henry <ghenry@OpenLDAP.org> writes:

> Dieter Kluenter wrote:
>> Holger Kaelberer <Holger.Kaelberer@telefonica.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> seems that I had exactly the same problem when setting up
>>> multimaster-repl. By trial and error I solved it by only defining one
>>> serverID on each host:
>>>
>>> # master1
>>> serverID 1
>>>
>>> # master2
>>> serverID 2
>>>
>>> With this setting multimaster-repl seems to work correctly.
>>>
>>> As I don't understand exactly how this statement affects
>>> multimaster-replication my question is, whether it is ok to do so or
>>> do I *need* to define all serverID as
>>>
>>> serverID NUM URL
>>>
>>> on all participating master.
>> If one thinks about it, it is obvious that each participating peer
>> has
>> to be informed about its sid, as other peers are not participating
>> prior to the initial setup, its only one sid.
>> After starting all peers, they have to be informed about all
>> particiating sids, that is prior to adding any data the sids have to
>> be anounced. So my initial configuration was as you described above.
>> After the initial setup I added all sids with a small shell script,
>> copied from test050,
>> $LDAPMODIFY -x -D cn=config -H $HOST -w $CPW <<EOF
>> dn: cn=config
>> changetype: modify
>> replace: olcServerID
>> olcServerID: 1 $URL1
>> olcServerID: 2 $URL2
>> EOF
>> Now the contextCSN looks like
>> contextCSN: 20081022192158.873555Z#000000#001#000000
>> contextCSN: 20081022184543.202017Z#000000#002#000000
>> note the different sids 001, 002. ContextCSN, that is time + sid,
>> indicate which peer modified the database last.
>> -Dieter
>>

> I pretty sure this is what test50 does at
> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/replication.html#N-Way%20Multi-Master
>
> When we add 1 $URL1 etc. it's after the server has already been
> bootstrapped.
>
> I will rewrite this section. If using slapd.conf, would we need to add
> this after slapd has been started and restart the masters then?

If you use slapd.conf, at the initial setup of each peer, only a
single 'serverID' without URI has to be configured, after the start of
all particating peers, you modify cn=config to add the other serverID
plus adding URI, if applicable. You don't have to restart any
participating server.

-Dieter

--
Dieter KlÃnter | Systemberatung