Re: dn cache size exceeds the limits

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:54:10 -0700
Quanah Gibson-Mount <quanah@zimbra.com> wrote:

> --On Thursday, October 02, 2008 10:50 PM +0200 Pavlos Parissis
> <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:
>
> >> <http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/?findid=5721>
> >>

> > Well, when I sent the mail this ITS wasn't there.
> >
> > But, how long is that "temporarily" ?
> > In my case it was 32000 entries more than the limit.
>
> As long as the conditions noted in ITS#5721 apply, I'd think.
>
> > Isn't it too dangerous to have that "termporarily" period?
>
> Dangerous how?  Previous releases had no upper limit, and although that
> caused more memory usage, it wasn't dangerous...

In our test we saw that when the dnchache was way too above the limit the system starting to swap a lot. We have quite long DNs , but I don't know the actual size.

BTW, what is the actual size that is being allocated in the memory for each entry in dncache? I know that the entries in entry cache are about twice as large as they are on disk, but I don't know about the dncache entries.

Cheers,
Pavlos