Re: slapd service terminates unexpectedly

Kyle Blaney wrote:
I'm looking for help because our slapd service occasionally terminates
unexpectedly on Windows. I know that Windows isn't the ideal platform
and we're moving everything to Linux eventually but we need to put up
with Windows for a short while longer. Our configuration is OpenLDAP
2.3.39 with BDB 4.4.20 (although we've also seen the same problem in
OpenLDAP 2.3.38 and 2.3.41) built using MinGW/MSYS.

The problem is not readily reproducible but it has been seen on many
different systems. I don't have any further details because we've set
the service's recovery options to automatically restart the service when
it terminates unexpectedly. All reports indicate that the service is not
doing anything in particular when it unexpectedly terminates. For
exampe, it's not being heavily accessed. In fact, it often stops when
it's not being accessed at all. It runs perfectly well for hours or days
and then just stops before being automatically restarted. The only
indication that it even stops is an error logged in the Windows Event
Viewer by the Service Control Manager that says "The slapd service
terminated unexpectedly. This has happened 1 time(s)".

Are there any specific logging options I should turn on so that I can
provide more details as to what the service is doing just before it
terminates?

Typical logging facilities won't tell anything. The way to determine what happened is to run slapd from a command shell, instead of as a service, with minimal debugging enabled (e.g. -d none). Ideally, run it under gdb and let gdb report on how it terminates.

Is this likely to have the same root cause as ITS#5469 (Assertion
failure causes slapd crash):
_http://www.openldap.org/its/index.cgi/Software%20Bugs?id=5469;selectid=5469_?

Possible. You should be able to download 2.3.42 and verify if that's the case.

Then again, remember the Windows haiku:

          yesterday it worked
        today it is not working
         Windows is like that