Re: restricting slapd memory consumption

Quanah Gibson-Mount schrieb:

--On April 14, 2008 5:04:24 PM +0200 Ralf Narozny <rnarozny@web.de> wrote:

Roughly ... assuming that you are using a decent memory allocator, and
that you have applied the memory leak patches for Berkeley DB (I don't
see that you provide your Berkeley DB version). The glibc memory
allocator is probably going to do quite badly in this specific
scenario (bulk add over the wire), using one of the better allocators
(e.g. hoard, tcalloc), would probably reduce this value considerably.
Howard has published extensive benchmarks on this ...

It is hard to know what info to provide for you to be able to help:

BDB 4.4.20 with no patches.
Linux Kernel 2.6.21.5 SMP
glibc-2.7-1
libc6 2.7-6

I'm not the one compiling the packet so I mainly have no idea of how to
change anything like that.

One problem is that glibc is a terrible memory allocator. You really should use an alternative like tcmalloc or hoard.

Any advise on the BDB version? Is the newer one better (performing and still free)?
--Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer